I made these ornaments for all of my friends one year, and they’re SUPER easy! And I think they turn out really pretty :) I chose several different paint combinations, and did college colors for some of them! This is a great present to give because it isn’t too costly and its heartfelt, since you put your time and effort into it :)
What you need:
- Clear Glass Iridescent Ball Ornaments (I think I bought mine at Michael’s, but any craft store should have them. I found some online on sale really cheap here.
- Acrylic Paints (Again, Michael’s is a good place to look…they have a big variety)
- Empty egg cartons (To place the ornaments in to let excess paint drip out)
- Paper Towels, Newspaper, etc.
1. Begin the paint swirled ornament by removing the top covering to the ornament and set it aside. Next, dribble some acrylic paint inside the ornament. Add a good amount, and swirl it around a bit.
2. Next, add in another color of paint (here I’m adding green). Swirl these colors around by rolling the ornament between your hands. Fill in gaps by dripping in some more paint in that area, as best as you can.
3. When about half of the inside of the bulb is covered, take a tissue and cover the top opening with it, and hold it tight with your finger. Then, give the ornament a good shake or two, carefully checking progress in between shakes. Try to get all the glass covered. You want to shake to get a good swirl effect, but not too much that the colors become completely mixed and change color.
Bonus Tip: After I made mine and allowed the paint to dry completely, I used a paint pen to write the year and the person’s name on the ornament. So on one side, I would write “Name” and then turn it around and put the year (“2010”) on the other! I used silver and gold paint pens…which can also be found at Michael’s or other craft stores! Here is a picture of one I made: