Oh the irony…how is pain ever good? Well the kind of pain that is muscle soreness never seems to be a bad thing! Let’s see:
Monday–rest day + yoga to stretch after the Half
Tuesday–6 mile interval run
Wednesday–5 mile hill run outside…in perfect weather :)
Thursday–impromptu Bootcamp workout in Personal Training class + one hour elliptical intervals…serious workout day
Friday–BodyPump + super-speedy 5k + fitness assessment project work (aka death–wayyy too many pushups/situps)
…all of that has left me incredibly sore tonight. In a good way of course :)
I’ve had a great workout week even after running a half marathon on Sunday. It’s amazing how being so active makes recovery time so quick! Going out for a 13.1 mile run is just a workout for the books nowadays…so maybe I should look into a new challenge…a marathon? I think so ;) I am registered for the NYC Marathon lottery…and I think April 7th is the announcement day. We shall see! If I don’t get to run NYC, I’m eyeing the OBX Marathon…close to my home, plus its my favorite, favorite place in the entire world. I practically grew up there…so it would be a super-fun marathon :) Both of these are in November…which means I would be doing my longest runs during the first two months of law school…scary! I know I’m going to be busy with school…but I never sacrifice a good workout…and I never will. Law school is not going to change that…haha. I’m pretty stubborn ;)
I know there’s sooo much I need to be doing right now but quite honestly I’m being lazy and enjoying it…haha. I’ve had an extremely busy week and the rest of my time in college is going to be busybusybusy, so I’m laying low tonight. Graduation in 48 days! ;)
1. What is up with this snow?! I’ve been reminiscing to this past Sunday, when I went out for a fabulous 11-mile run in 60 degree weather…and I wake up to SNOW on the ground this morning! Summer cannot get here fast enough! Is anyone else a summer-loving, sun-worshipper like I am? I knew there was a reason I’m a lifeguard…
2. I have something I’m really looking forward to! My university hosts a really, really big Relay for Life every April, and I’ve participated every year since I’ve been in school here. Last year I was even selected to be on the Planning Committee, which was lots of fun. This year, I chose to be on Relay Staff, which is less obligation but I’m still able to do a lot of things surrounding Relay. Well, anyways, my aunt “Sissy” (that’s been my nickname for her since I was about 2!) was diagnosed with Ovarian cancer back in April of 2008, which was coincidentally my first year participating in Relay. So I’ve always dedicated my participation in honor of her every year! She is still not cancer-free but is doing much better. The exciting part is, this year she is going to be participating! I created a Relay team for my family, and myself along with some cousins, my aunt, and my mom are all going to make the 5-hour drive up to my university for a weekend in April just to be a part of our Relay for Life! I’m so thrilled…we’re planning a theme, decorating our campsite, and making tshirts…plus my aunt Sissy is going to be selling bracelets raising money for Ovarian cancer research! Its such a great cause, and I just love seeing so many people at Relay all night long when they could be living the typical college lifestyle of partying ’til 3am and passing out in the bushes at someone’s house.
3. I had a really awesome BodyPump workout last night…and I decided I needed some more of it in my life. Twice a week, no exceptions! I know I’ll definitely see more tone/definition…I did a Body Sculpting class once a week three semesters ago and I seriously could see the definition in my arms…just from once a week! But I’m pushing for 2 times a week now…I’ve become the Cardio Queen lately and I’m missing my old strength training routine!
I finally got in a really good workout this week and it feels so good :) I went to the gym and ran 4 miles: 1 mile increasing incline at every .25 mile, the others at a steady pace with a little sprint at the end. Then I did BodyPump for the first time in two weeks…I was having withdrawals! And it was realllllly hard today…I don’t know if its because its been a while or if it was because I just ran 4 miles?! Either way, I’m feeling pretty good right now, if a little exhausted too. I’ve been heavy on the cardio this week…and well, last week too. So it was nice to pump some iron and work on those muscles ;)
On my drive over to the gym, I passed a Taco Bell, which, quite honestly, I think its disgusting. Well okay, I actually think all fast food is disgusting…haha…I refuse to eat at any of those places. But anyways, back to my story. In the window of Taco Bell, there was an advertisement for some $5 “box” that had like THREE taco/burrito/etc things, cinnamon twists, and a drink…and it was sponsored by the NBA. I started to think about all of the fast food places that use sports organizations/teams/etc to “sell” their products, basically. Is it not ironic that the NBA, of which all the basketball players are in excellent physical shape, is allowing their name to be used to promote artery-clogging junk food? Not picking on Taco Bell/the NBA alone, there are many other fast food places and sports related organizations that do this. I just find it funny! Shouldn’t these organizations put their name on things that are healthy and promote a healthy lifestyle? I would think so!
Ah, its finally the weekend for me…I’ve never been so happy to see Friday get here until now! It wears you out to have three mid-term exams in one day! So I’m going to do anything BUT schoolwork this weekend…which means catching up on my stack of magazines I’ve gotten in the mail over the past two weeks and neglected, reading the rest of Dear John (because I feel like the book & movie are very different!), and doing some housecleaning…because that has been seriously neglected while I’ve been busy! Hope everyone’s Friday has been lovely ;)
I totally meant to post last night, but I got caught up studying for my THREE exams that I had today and didn’t have time…oops! Speaking of those three exams…wow, can I just say I’ve never been happier that the day is over?!
1. I feel like this week has been full of boring workouts…I’ve been so busy that I haven’t done Spinning or BodyPump or Hot Yoga…I’ve done an hour of cardio every day-elliptical intervals on Monday, 5 miles on the treadmill on Tuesday, 50 minute Strength/Cardio DVD on Wednesday, and hill intervals on the elliptical today. So very plain. That’s why my plans for tomorrow are BodyPump in the afternoon and then hitting it hard for some speed intervals on the treadmill. And hopefully hot yoga on Saturday? We’ll see…
2. Spring Break is officially two weeks away, and I couldn’t be happier. It also means that graduation is right around the corner…scary, but exciting ;)
3. USA Men’s Snowboarding team is full of hotties….mmm…I was totally distracted last night while attempting to study. ha ha. But most of them are really short…which is a problem because I’m tall and can’t stand guys that are shorter than me. That’s a dilemma. Haha…disclaimer: I’m completely in love with my hawt boyfriend, who happens to be quite a bit taller than me, so no worries ;)
1. I. am. so. sore. I did BodyPump last night…which turned out a lot better than the first time I did it at my new gym. The actual certified instructor was back, so it was the same super-challenging workout that I experienced a few weeks ago. Being the crazy person that I am and always accepting a challenge(!), I was asked to do a BodyPump class today at the university gym because an instructor was testing out to become certified and they had to videotape the BodyPump workout. So yes, I just did BodyPump two days in a row. Ouch.
2. Because I was feeling soooooo sore from the above workouts, I went to Hot Vinyasa tonight. It felt lovely. Not to mention I mastered the headstand tonight…actually on the first try! ;)
3. I’m not so pumped for the snowstorm we’re supposed to be getting, starting at approximately 1am. Its being called a re-do of last weekend, which majorly sucks! All of that snow is STILL on the ground, so looks like we could be looking at 24″ of snow on the ground after this weekend. Yikes.
I’m sooo glad its the weekend! Just two weeks of classes in, and I’m already over school. Good thing there are only 104 days until I graduate from college! Wow I still have a hard time believing I’ll be a college grad in 4 months!
This afternoon I decided I was going to brave BodyPump again…I got to the gym in time to do 20 minutes on the elliptical on high resistance before the class. When I walked in the fitness studio, the instructor said she isn’t the usual BodyPump instructor, so she would be doing her “own thing.” Crap! I had a bad feeling about it from the start…my first BodyPump class on Monday was soooo intense and the instructor was really hardcore and had an awesome mix of music. Today there was no such thing! We did a lot of squats and lunges, and I did feel it in my arms a little, but it was nowhere near as good of a workout as Monday’s class was. Oh well. Since I didn’t feel like I got a great workout, I ran a quick mile on the treadmill and then walked on a 10% incline at 4.2 MPH for about 22 minutes…so 30 minutes total. I also just signed up for the Core Challenge on Kloé’s Blog. So I’ll be doing some Ab workouts very soon after this post ;)
I was trying to get a really good workout in because it looks like tomorrow might be an off day for me…or at least a light workout day. We’re supposed to get about a foot of snow from now until tomorrow evening…yay. So that means I won’t be making it to the gym if we get snowed in…I’m not really thrilled about being cooped up inside, but maybe I do need the rest and relaxation! It actually started snowing a little on my way back from the gym…I need to look and see if there’s a foot of snow out there already. I wouldn’t doubt it…haha. Around here, snow is a very common thing….
Well I suppose I’m going to relax and maybe catch up on my magazine reading…just got a new Self and Shape in the mail! ;)
Because I don’t want to get in a workout rut, I decided I would try something different today. I did BodyStep, which is the Les Mills take on Step Aerobics. The Les Mills program is the same one behind the BodyPump workout I did on Monday. I hadn’t done a Step class in almost a year actually! It was fairly challenging, but I wouldn’t say it was too tough of a workout. I did a fast mile & a half-mile walk on 10% incline before the class, so I think altogether it was a decent workout. Its just nice to have some variety and work out different parts of my body throughout the week!
Afterward, I made a grocery store stop to pick up some veggies, hummus, and cereal. I spend a lot of money on groceries…I think its because I always buy healthy foods, some organic…plus Greek Yogurt is sooo expensive around here! But I love it too much to not buy any :) What’s bad is that I have a mealplan on my college campus, and there are lots of good places to eat…I’m just picky and I prefer to cook healthy meals for myself. I mostly use my mealplan $$$ on coffee between classes and the occasional cup of soup from ABP for lunch. Oh well. I wanted to stock up on all of my favorite healthy foods because the weathermen are calling for a snowstorm this weekend…anywhere from 6″ up…and since anything over an inch is going to keep me from driving out, I though it was good to keep the kitchen stocked for the weekend! This weather is getting in the way of my running though…I want Sundays to be my designated long run day, but it looks like this is the second weekend of that NOT happening! I might have to hit the clubhouse treadmill again this weekend…