This has probably been one of the busiest weekends I’ve had in the ‘Burg this semester! Friday morning, I went to classes and to the gym to get in a workout before Relay for Life that evening. My family got into town in the late afternoon, and we set up our campsite at Relay…it turned out so cute! My aunt and cousin came up with a cute theme and everyone contributed cute decorations, plus we sold ovarian/breast cancer bracelets and baked goods….which went over well. We did so good, and I’m so proud of my family pulling together to make this a fun night for my Aunt! Minus the cold weather, it was a lot of fun…and no we didn’t make it the entire night…way too cold!
Saturday, we went out for Brunch and just hung out for a while…the weather was gorgeous! Finally, around 2, my aunt, my cousin and his wife left to go home, but my parents stayed through today…so us three drove out on the Blue Ridge Parkway and ended up at a winery to do some wine tasting ;) That was so fun…first time I was able to actually TASTE the wine at a vineyard…last time we visited one up here, I was underage…so I had to sit back while everyone else enjoyed it. Not this time! We ended up buying a few bottles, and then drove on the Parkway some more…the mountains are so pretty this time of year. We were all sooo tired from the night before at Relay, so we had dinner at Panera and called it a night. Oh, I also FINALLY got my cap and gown…graduation is so soon!
I’ve really gotten in a routine of working out every day…it just works for me. I never feel like I’m overtraining or anything, so unless I get to that point, I like my daily workouts. Unfortunately, yesterday was just so busy that I didn’t have time to get a workout in…and I tried to not worry about it. But I still like to break a sweat every day…oh well. This morning, I woke up and went for a 5.6 mile run…I didn’t do a really long run like I usually do on Sundays, because I knew my parents would be waiting on me and they had to go back home today. After running, I got ready and we went out to a cute, local restaurant…they had Greek and Italian food….yum. I love Greek food….in fact, I had a Greek salad for lunch. So good. Plus leftover salad for dinner! ha ha… After my parents left, I decided to go to Hot Yoga…its been two weeks since I went last, and I felt like I could use a good stretch after running over 30 miles this week. Its been a while since I’ve done over 30/week…I definitely gravitated towards only running this week rather than including crosstraining…which is probably NOT a good thing. Crosstraining is a good thing to include in your workout schedule! :)
So, finally the weekend has slowed down…and this upcoming week is going to be soooo slack, so I need to enjoy it while I can! haha…4 day week minus my 9:30am class on Tues/Thurs…not a bad week at all ;) I hope everyone had a great weekend :)
1. Tomorrow is Relay for Life here at my university (we’re still defending our rank of #1 collegiate Relay in the nation!)…I’m so pumped! Its the second year I’ve been involved in the planning and actual carrying-out of the event and its always a great time. My family will be getting here early tomorrow afternoon to set up our team’s campsite. I’m so grateful that my Aunt is going to be here in the midst of Relay and see what its all about…she was diagnosed with cancer in 2008 and has gotten better but is not completely cancer-free yet. Ever since I started participating in Relay for Life, it was always in honor of my Aunt, and I know tomorrow is going to be an amazing day :)
2. I’m still so excited about running NYC! I LOVE the City and I know that running 26.2 through NYC is going to be amazing…it’ll be a great experience and I am counting down the days ;)
3. Speaking of counting down the days, my last day of classes is in 26 days…and graduation is in 36 days! So excited :)
Ahhh I think last week was the busiest week I’ve had (in a while, at least). Three term papers (yeah, I wondered how they could be term papers…the semester isn’t over yet!) kept me super busy all last week, which was not fun. I took Thursday and Friday “off” from doing schoolwork to recuperate for the rest of the semester…still lots of work to do, but its coming together pretty well now.
Yesterday, I helped Relay for Life raise money at a Hot Yoga class at the local yoga studio…and I even had time to take the class too :) I LOVE Hot Yoga, which I’m sure you already knew if you read my blog…ha ha. I think we raised a pretty good amount for Relay, and there were LOTS of people that had never done Hot Yoga before, so maybe the studio will have lots of new yogis now ;) When I got back to the townhouse, I knew that I had a hot date with my Nutrition project…yes. I started compiling it and doing calculations around 6pm, and I didn’t finish working on it until almost 11pm! But the important thing is, its done, and now I can focus on other work I need to get done!
I actually feel productive this weekend…I took an online quiz this morning, and after a long run, I have to go to a Personal Training practice sesh (we have to go to 3 events/practices to get credit for class). So all in all, this weekend has been FULL of fitness and nutrition…and I love it. Maybe I should rethink my career path…haha. Fitness>lawyer-ing. However, the $$$ is probably a LOT less! And with my shopping obsession, maybe I should stick with going to law school and (hopefully) making big bucks……
1. TOMORROW…Spring Break begins :) I’m leaving bright and early in the morning to make the 5-hour drive home. I am sooooo excited…in fact I’ve been pretty high on life today ;) I just love home, family, the boy, my dog, my friends….for a whole week. Ahh :)
2. I am officially 9 days away from being the big 2-1. Wow time flies…I feel like I should still be in high school, and yet I’ll be graduating from college in 2.5 months! I’m going to The Melting Pot for my 21st birthday dinner…and I’m still in search of the best mojito in Hampton Roads. Because I will definitely be finding it March 13th. haha :)
3. My university has a really big Relay for Life every year (we had the #1 collegiate event last year!), and I’ve participated every year since I’ve been in school here. I had so much fun the first year that I signed up to be on the Executive Planning Committee last year and I’m on the Relay Staff this year. I just love love love it, and its for such a good cause. I relay in honor of my Aunt Nancy, who was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer in 2008. She is still fighting it, but is doing better. I’m so glad that she’s participating this year…and I’m so grateful for family & friends that have been donating and helping my fundraising efforts. Its such a good feeling to know we’re all helping out the American Cancer Society. Do you Relay???
1. What is up with this snow?! I’ve been reminiscing to this past Sunday, when I went out for a fabulous 11-mile run in 60 degree weather…and I wake up to SNOW on the ground this morning! Summer cannot get here fast enough! Is anyone else a summer-loving, sun-worshipper like I am? I knew there was a reason I’m a lifeguard…
2. I have something I’m really looking forward to! My university hosts a really, really big Relay for Life every April, and I’ve participated every year since I’ve been in school here. Last year I was even selected to be on the Planning Committee, which was lots of fun. This year, I chose to be on Relay Staff, which is less obligation but I’m still able to do a lot of things surrounding Relay. Well, anyways, my aunt “Sissy” (that’s been my nickname for her since I was about 2!) was diagnosed with Ovarian cancer back in April of 2008, which was coincidentally my first year participating in Relay. So I’ve always dedicated my participation in honor of her every year! She is still not cancer-free but is doing much better. The exciting part is, this year she is going to be participating! I created a Relay team for my family, and myself along with some cousins, my aunt, and my mom are all going to make the 5-hour drive up to my university for a weekend in April just to be a part of our Relay for Life! I’m so thrilled…we’re planning a theme, decorating our campsite, and making tshirts…plus my aunt Sissy is going to be selling bracelets raising money for Ovarian cancer research! Its such a great cause, and I just love seeing so many people at Relay all night long when they could be living the typical college lifestyle of partying ’til 3am and passing out in the bushes at someone’s house.
3. I had a really awesome BodyPump workout last night…and I decided I needed some more of it in my life. Twice a week, no exceptions! I know I’ll definitely see more tone/definition…I did a Body Sculpting class once a week three semesters ago and I seriously could see the definition in my arms…just from once a week! But I’m pushing for 2 times a week now…I’ve become the Cardio Queen lately and I’m missing my old strength training routine!