Well as it turns out, we got our “White Christmas” after all. And it continued all day today…we have around 13″ of snow in our yard! For this area, that is a LOT. And I can only remember probably one other snowfall this big since I’ve been alive…so that means it probably won’t happen again anytime soon! haha
So much snow!
Chloe was a little too small for all the snow ;)
Christmas lights + Snow…so pretty :)
Snow days are fun, right? Well…not when you drive 50 minutes to class to take a 45 minute exam, and then sit in traffic for 2 hours. BUT that’s another story for another day :) Ideally, snow days should be filled with movies, fun, hot chocolate, and playing in the snow…here are some suggestions:
1. Watch Christmas movies – Isn’t is great when it snows so close to Christmas? I LOVE it :)
2. Make Hot Chocolate or Coffee – Add a candy cane or some holiday marshmallows for a festive drink!
3. Play Games
4. Play in the Snow…after all, that’s the most fun!
Now that I’m home and not parked on the highway any more(!), I plan to play in the snow and curl up on the couch with a fire in the fireplace and watch some Christmas movies ;)
At ChristmasTown in Busch Gardens
Pretty Christmas Trees
Gorgeous Tree at Busch Gardens
Chick-Fil-A Cows getting ready to run the ChristmasTown Dash!
After the ChristmasTown Dash…with a new PR! ;)
Fireworks at Colonial Williamsburg’s Grand Illumination
It SNOWED! Topped off the Christmas-filled weekend perfectly :)
After failing to get to a Hot Yoga class yesterday, I knew that my goal for today was to finally make it to the studio! Ideally, I’d love to do Hot Yoga at least once a weekend, but between snowed-in weekends we’ve had since January and then traveling home a few weekends ago, I have only had the chance to go three times so far. I really wanted to get a session in before I go home for Spring Break on Friday(!)…and I might be making a trip out sometime next week to my favorite Hot Yoga studio near my hometown ;)
Anyways, I woke up at 6am this morning with a sore throat…and the TV volume up pretty loud. Apparently I fell asleep while watching SNL last night and slept for ~6 hours with the volume up loud. Did anyone see SNL last night? I love J. Lo! But back to that sore throat…I’ve been having “allergies” the past week or so, and I’m beginning to think its a cold…but I don’t know. It hasn’t gotten worse, but it certainly hasn’t gotten better. When I woke up at 6am, I chugged a pack of Emergen-C…and then another around 11. Can’t be getting sick right before Spring Break!!! After all of that, I decided I would start on some school work (surprise, I know), and I also did laundry and cleaned the kitchen, my room, and bathroom. I was on a roll apparently ;) Then I still really wanted to get in a 5-mile run, so I braved the cold and snow flurries and went out for the run a little before I was supposed to go to Hot Yoga. I got back around 3, and left for yoga at 3:30. I felt fine, but I probably should’ve drank more water and possibly had 1/2 banana. The yoga studio was extra hot and humid today…even the instructor noticed and acknowledged it…she turned on the ceiling fan and opened the door to let in a little cool air! I started to feel very lightheaded and nauseated while we were standing and doing balance poses, so I had to go into Child’s Pose a few times. This is sooooo rare for me…I never get that dizzy feeling! I think it was a combination of the extra hot studio, sweating on my 5-mile run before yoga, and not replacing electrolytes. I also normally do Hot Yoga first thing in the morning, so I have never ran before a class before. But overall, it was still a great session and I feel really rejuvenated now! :)
I’m sure that running outside didn’t help my potential “cold”…but when I have something I want to do, better believe I’m going to do it! ha ha…so I didn’t get my 10-miler today, but I got 5 yesterday, 5 today and Hot Yoga. So it all balanced out anyways :) It was a pretty good weekend, and the best part is that in less than 5 days, I’ll be headed home for a whole week! ;)
I had big plans for a Hot Yoga class this morning. I went to bed relatively early and made myself get out of bed at 8:50am to get ready and drive to the studio. I looked out the window…surprise, surprise–there was snow on the ground. If you know me, you know that I am NOT going to drive in snow, especially since my townhouse is kind of at the top of a hill and I’m terrified of my car sliding around. I meant SUV…with 4-wheel drive. Ha ha yes I’m just afraid for no reason, I admit it. But anyways, I had to skip Hot Yoga…I was really looking forward to it after hitting the gym hard this week. I did Body Pump twice, lots of running, and lots of elliptical intervals throughout the week. So that was a little disappointing, but I might go tomorrow afternoon…its just such a good feeling after 90 minutes of sweating out toxins and getting some good stretching in. Does anyone else love Hot Yoga as much as I do?!
I had plans for today to be my “rest” day, only doing Hot Yoga, and then running 10 miles tomorrow. But since that clearly didn’t happen, I ran 5 miles on the treadmill today and tackled a few hills/intervals…I’m thinking of running another 5 tomorrow and then doing Hot Yoga in the afternoon. I know it isn’t going to be 10 miles all at once, but it still accomplishes the basic goal of running 10 miles this weekend + Hot Yoga. So I’ll go with it I guess :) I can’t wait until next week, when I get to go to my hometown gym (YMCA) alllll week! I miss the fab Spinning classes and the best Ab classes I’ve ever been to…and all of the instructors are awesome! Its the little things in life that make me happy ;) I also will probably get in a 12 or 13 mile run while I’m home…just as prep for my Half on March 21st. I’ve maintained my endurance and have been running 10-12 mile runs regularly, so I’m not really building up. I have been working on more intervals/high intensity training and I think I’ll definitely run the Half in less time this year than I did last year. We shall see I guess ;)
Well I’m going to relax & enjoy the rest of the day…I hope everyone is having a great weekend so far! :)
1. What is up with this snow?! I’ve been reminiscing to this past Sunday, when I went out for a fabulous 11-mile run in 60 degree weather…and I wake up to SNOW on the ground this morning! Summer cannot get here fast enough! Is anyone else a summer-loving, sun-worshipper like I am? I knew there was a reason I’m a lifeguard…
2. I have something I’m really looking forward to! My university hosts a really, really big Relay for Life every April, and I’ve participated every year since I’ve been in school here. Last year I was even selected to be on the Planning Committee, which was lots of fun. This year, I chose to be on Relay Staff, which is less obligation but I’m still able to do a lot of things surrounding Relay. Well, anyways, my aunt “Sissy” (that’s been my nickname for her since I was about 2!) was diagnosed with Ovarian cancer back in April of 2008, which was coincidentally my first year participating in Relay. So I’ve always dedicated my participation in honor of her every year! She is still not cancer-free but is doing much better. The exciting part is, this year she is going to be participating! I created a Relay team for my family, and myself along with some cousins, my aunt, and my mom are all going to make the 5-hour drive up to my university for a weekend in April just to be a part of our Relay for Life! I’m so thrilled…we’re planning a theme, decorating our campsite, and making tshirts…plus my aunt Sissy is going to be selling bracelets raising money for Ovarian cancer research! Its such a great cause, and I just love seeing so many people at Relay all night long when they could be living the typical college lifestyle of partying ’til 3am and passing out in the bushes at someone’s house.
3. I had a really awesome BodyPump workout last night…and I decided I needed some more of it in my life. Twice a week, no exceptions! I know I’ll definitely see more tone/definition…I did a Body Sculpting class once a week three semesters ago and I seriously could see the definition in my arms…just from once a week! But I’m pushing for 2 times a week now…I’ve become the Cardio Queen lately and I’m missing my old strength training routine!